Friday, June 1, 2012

DAY 4: The Weekend is NEAR

Congrats!  You have made it through the toughest part of the challenge, the first 3days.  You are going through the usual cravings, fighting the urge and noticing a flucuating of energy and performance in the gym.  This is all NORMAL.  Don't worry...your body is adjusting and inherently detoxing itself over all the sugars and grains you have been feeding your body for your entire life!  Hopefully you will be turning the corner soon....but wait now we have the weekend!  What do you do?  Well, I am confident that all of you can make arrangements so that you can follow your nutritional guidelines this weekend. Be creative!  If you go out to a resturant or a social funtion....I am certain you can find something that is paleo friendly....below is a checklist created by Mark Sisson from Mark's Daily Apple, for healthy dining out.

  1. Avoid eating out. I’m kinda kidding, but it goes without saying that eating out at chain restaurants on a regular basis probably isn’t a good idea.
  2. Lobby for restaurant-picking powers. If you’re deigning to eat out, the least your companions can do is let you pick the place. Pro-tip: don’t use the word “deign” when trying to pick the restaurant.
  3. Don’t eat. Treat this as an Intermittent Fasting day. If you need visualization, imagine Grok happening across a rotting, stinking carcass. Doesn’t sound so different from most restaurant fare to me.  (We will discuss IF in a later blog....)
  4. Be a super modern forager. Scan the menu for anything that might work. If you’re eating Mexican, get the fajitas and lose the rice, beans, and tortillas while upping the veggies, meat, and guacamole.
  5. Make special requests. Yep, you’re gonna have to “be that guy” who customizes his order so much that the final product is completely unrecognizable from the original. Expect eye rolls and audible sighs, but those are a small price to pay for eating right. You can always claim gluten-intolerance or various food allergies if you want to avoid the hassle; they can’t ignore you then.
  6. Make substitutions. All restaurants have vegetables. Most of them will be happy to swap out the starchy foods like rice, bread, or potatoes for steamed or grilled veggies.
  7. Get stuff on the side. For sauces and dressings of indeterminate origin, ask for them on the side. That way you can control their distribution rather than letting the cook slather your food with it.

TGI Friday’s/Applebee’s/Chili’s/etc.

Is there really any difference between these restaurants? They all serve burgers, ribs, salads, sandwiches, and pasta, along with lots of deep-fried and heavily-battered appetizers, and it’s all pretty bland, forgettable stuff. Still, they do have a good happy hour, and they’re pretty popular, so you may find yourself stuck at one with friends or coworkers with your stomach rumbling. Bun-less burgers are an option, of course, as are the salads. If you get a salad, hold the croutons and get the dressing on the side. Unfortunately, chain restaurant salad dressings are usually rife with sugar and industrial vegetable oils (high in Omega 6s), so there aren’t any fantastic options. If you’re lucky, they’ll have olive oil and vinegar on the premises and you can simply make your own. I usually opt for whatever cut of steak they have on the menu. Sure, it ain’t grass-fed or organic, but it is meat, and you can usually request they cook it in butter (rather than corn oil). Skip the mashed potatoes or fries for mixed veggies, and you’re good to go. I couldn’t find any specific data for steak from any of these restaurants, but FitDay says a 10 oz lean sirloin steak looks something like this:
Fat: 31g
SFA: 11g
PUFA: 4g
MUFA: 13g
Carbs: 0g
Protein: 92g

Add some more fat if they honor your request to cook it in butter, along with a few more carbs from the veggies, and you’re looking at a decent meal.

Olive Garden

A carb-lovers paradise, Olive Garden is actually a decent pick for Primal eaters. You obviously won’t be ordering the pasta, but the smattering of grilled items, plus the endless salad bowl, make eating here definitely doable. They even have a low-carb menu, which was a complete surprise. There’s the 14 oz Steak Toscano, cooked in olive oil and served with broccoli and mixed veggies; the Mixed Grill, which consists of skewers of chicken and steak with zucchini and broccoli; the Herb-Grilled Salmon, brushed with olive oil and served with broccoli; the mussels served with a wine, garlic, and onion sauce; and the Pork Filletino, marinated in olive oil and rosemary and served with mixed vegetables. Those all sound pretty delicious and, with the net carbs all under 20g (and none of them coming from starch), very reasonable for Primal eaters.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz1wZ4vRH4a

15 comments:

  1. I went out for lunch today and hit up CHIPOTLE. I got a salad with carnitas with guac, pico, and peppers and onions. Delicious and I am pretty sure it is pretty close to 100% paleo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went out to dinner on Wednesday. I order mix greens w/ grilled chicken and I asked for salsa to put in the salad and no dressing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job guys! See it is definitely possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the salsa Idea... definitely did not think of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the going out, I do preview menus and try to decide before hand what I'm going to eat. I met up with Kristen R for lunch at borjo in Norfolk and was able to substitute to make my meal paleo ad enjoy fresh cucumber and carrot juice (juiced in front of us) it's Friday and my typical trip to skinny dip is not happening but then again I'm not craving it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luckily I brought food in my cooler while I was running errand this evening otherwise I just might have ran to TACO BELL. I'm so glad I was prepared and stuck it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just got back from dinner and proud to say no cheats! when I ordered my burger the waitress thought I had a rare disease when I told her no dairy and no grains haha. I felt like a make a wish kid.

    any how did a WOD at work this morning 4mile run at a 7min pace (PR) and then a 20 min amrap of 10 pu 15 su and 20 sq's got around 10 rds. pretty tired from the run.

    Sam L

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to go to Richmond for work today and we ended up at an Italian restaurant. It was rough ordering just a salad then getting into what needed to be left off in front of a bunch of good ole' boys ordering massive slices of pizza, but it was well worth it. This challenge is reminding me a lot of when I quit smoking, every temptation resisted is a little win, but it ends up being a lot bigger in retrospect. I hope other people are finding the same pride in their decisions.

    On a less mushy note, I'm finding myself more and more tempted each day to whip up a paleo mayonnaise recipe I found. It seems like it would fly because it's essentially good fats and egg yolks; on the other hand, mayo is something that is typically frowned upon in typical healthy diets. So my question is, would the mayo fit? (in proportion of course) or does it fall in that category with the plantain chips discussed earlier in the week replacing something that shouldn't be in the diet to begin with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, great job on sticking with the challenge despite all that temptation of what others were ordering. Remember, it's only for 30 days and you can do anything for 30 days. As the challenge progresses and your body and tastes adjust, you may even find those temptations lessen considerably that you're no longer affected. But above all, it's that pride you felt by staying true that is going to carry your through. It feels good to make the right decision, doesn't it?

      As for the paleo mayo, yes, you can most certainly use it in a recipe here and there for your fats. My point regarding the plantain chips was more in line with paleo treat recipes like paleo brownies, cookies, cakes, and chips. People often mistakenly feel that these "paleo treats" are healthy because they're paleo and, therefore, justify to themselves that they can have them more often. The truth is, a treat is a treat and just be treated as such, excuse the pun. They should only be enjoyed occasionally, like once a week or something. You're much better off having a healthy meal or snack instead of some paleo-type treats. The idea is to break yourself of those unhealthy snacking habits, not to substitute them. Remember, our ancestors might have only been able to find fruits, honey, and such similar "treats" from time to time...and when they did, they truly were treats.

      So, sure, go ahead and give the paleo mayo a try.

      Delete
    2. Mike- I so excited for you....I know you can do this. Going to a restaurant is hard, especially when everyone is giving you a hard time about what you are ordering or the menu doesn't have a lot of "paleo friendly" options. Sometime I just order what's there and manipulate the meal once it has arrived. After you start seeing some changes, you should be even more empowered to want to stay on track...today I was feeling pretty good and I thought to myself...this is almost like giving myself a gift....allowing my body to be happy for once. Does that make sense? I hope everyone starts to feel that same sense of excitement! Just take one day at a time.

      Oh and as far as the mayo thing- It's 2012. If you make it from scratch with "paleo friendly items" where you know their origin...go for it. I think I posted a Mayo recipe yesterday...it's pretty good!

      Delete
  9. I went to Carrabas and I had grilled salmon and veggies. I was so tempted to ask for some dessert and a drink but I had a glass of water. I feel a lot better today thou!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alot of us ate out today with mine being sashimi salmon and tuna (no soy sauce) though somehow it is a little fishier without the soy. Also seaweed salad. Made some great chicken fingers to have something to grab fast for proteing which is my biggest weakness to find when I need it. Took chicken breasts and cut in strips, dipped in egg and dipped in almond flour then cooked in olive/sesame oil and really tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me of my favorite recipe....Pecan Encrusted Chicken! You basically would need to make your own mustard sauce, dip each chx and then lay each side in freshly crushed pecans. After the challenge, you should try adding honey/agave to the mustard so that it's more of a honey mustard.

      Delete
  11. Confession.... Good morning all... I am "telling" on myself, but that's ok...My work had a little bday party for me this week and I had a piece of carrot cake and two chocolate chip cookies... I am not a "fast food" junkie or person who eats a lot of pre-made treat kind of gal to begin with, but participated non the less... I really didn't think it would matter much since I stuck to the diet all week. Well was I wrong, not only did my body feel heavy and really tired but my stomach did not like the food period.. Even after a three mile run last night and this morning I feel like yuck...

    My hardest challenge so far has been eating the "mini" meals... I have to set my alarm on my phone so I don't forget and ensure I stick to the plan.. Hopefully, this week will be a little easier as I have stocked my fridge will all organic, grass fed food... See you all next week when I am back in town.

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great WOD this morning. Great group, and good weather. Good way to start off a Saturday. I'm really liking this protein post WOD. I just feel better and... "ready" is the best word I can come up with. I take it that means its working? Any words of wisdom from the group on that one?

    ReplyDelete