Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day 16: My amazing discovery

So I usually stick with the same meal each night for dinner, so that I can stay disciplined with my nutrition.  I have noticed most of you all do the same.  It's just easier.  The catch, however, is that it becomes boring and monotonous and potential for temptation to want to deviate from the "plan."  Well, I found myself in the same frame of mind on Sunday when I was prepping for the week.  Lee and I normally eat meatloaf or meatza at night for dinner.  Historically I have made a big side of mashed cauliflower to go with the meatloaf...but I just wasn't feeling it.  So, I learned from my boss a new way to prepare cauliflower.  Roasted Cauliflower Chips!  Why haven't I heard of this???????  So I followed her instructions and started preparing the cauliflower on Sunday.  You basically buy a head of cauliflower and then break it up in big florets.  From there you slice long ways, to make thin/flat pieces.  After that you toss the "chips" in olive oil, a little sea salt and cumin.
So last night, I thought I would go ahead and roast them.  I put them in the oven on a baking sheet for 10-15 min...at 400 degrees....keeping an eye and making sure they were brown and then flipped them and browned the other side.  When they were done, I immediately popped one in my mouth and thought I was going to die!  It reminded me of french fries.  Freaking AMAZING. 

Here is another version to the "Roasted Cauliflower Chip."

COCOA-TOASTED CAULIFLOWER.....from http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/

"It’s not at all like eating chocolate, but Cocoa-Toasted Cauliflower is savory, roasted goodness.
We’re deep into cauliflower season in the northern hemisphere (I got a volleyball-sized cauliflower in my Farmhouse Delivery last week), and it’s cold outside – even here in Austin – so now is a great time to crank up the oven. The cocoa in the recipe enhances the natural nuttiness of the cauliflower, the paprika adds depth and a nice spicy bite… and all of the work is done in the oven. You know how much I love that!
If you’re concerned about cocoa compliance, don’t be. The Whole9 gives it a thumbs-up, even during a Whole30. So go ahead, it’s OK to go cuckoo for cocoa. (sorry.)"

Cocoa-Toasted Cauliflower
Ingredients:
1 head of fresh cauliflower
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
salt to taste
garlic powder to taste
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking pan or sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Break cauliflower into florets and place in bowl. Toss with melted coconut oil until well-coated, about 2 minutes. For serious. The more you toss, the better the fat is distributed.
3. Mix paprika and cocoa in a small bowl, then sprinkle over cauliflower and toss until evenly coated.
4. Sprinkle the cauliflower with salt and garlic powder; I like a lot – you might not.
5. Bake until tender and started to get nice brown spots, about 25-30 minutes. Bonus points if you stir the cauliflower halfway through the baking time.
This will be my next adventure.  So change it up from time to time and learn how delicious REAL food can be.  Who needs french fries, candy or a pastry anyway????????
 
 
Coach Dee

11 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I may have to try this one. I know I miss the texture of some stuff. Looking forward to adding almond/coconut flour back in when this is done. But, want to keep it at a minimum since I'm going 30 days without it.

    I wonder if these "chips" will be good with salsa. :-)

    Oh, I must feel better than I realize. I did the reg. WOD at 9:30 yesterday and went back for the endurance WOD at 5:30. My body feels a little sore and tired, but overall, I feel very awake. And I got my first ever 3 kipping pullups in a row, so something must be working. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Chrisrina, thats awesome. I'm still struggling with my energy...it runs out early in the day. I got to try those chips too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they work as chips then I'm pumped !!! chips and salsa is one of my all time favorites!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Badass. Looks good and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will def be trying these chips! I made Cheryl and I zucchini chips on sunday night, while they were good, they take over an hour and a half to make, so I doubt I will make them often. I LOVE me some kale chips- and they take about 15 mins to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dee. The cauliflower chips sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks awesome, I have been making sweet potato fries, but these look a lot more healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ..I'm hungry again now... Sounds amazing though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I plan on trying these this week. Thank you SO much for posting this Dee. I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristen R shared a awesome alternative to ice cream. 1 frozen banana place in blender and viola ice cream and it's delicious and paleo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I have to go buy a head of cauliflower this week. These look great!

    ReplyDelete