Monday, June 4, 2012

DAY 7: Can eating Red Meat lead us to Cancer?

 
From the "PaleoLithe Website"...
 
Numerous articles have popped up recently about the studies showing links between eating red meat and cancer, and the paleo-sphere (and paleo subreddit) has been abuzz with concern – is our diet increasing out risk of cancer?  To find out, we need to look more closely at two things: first, we need to take a hard look at the articles and second, we need to take a hard look at the paleo diet.  Let’s start with the studies – or rather “study”.  Multiple people have submitted many different links that all talk about the same study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine by An Pan et al. titled “Red Meat Consumption and Mortality

NPR’s food blog “the SALT” recently posted an article titled “Death By Bacon? Study Finds Eating Meat Is Risky” and the scientific article appeared in a press release on the Harvard School of Public Health website titled “Red Meat Consumption Linked to Increased Risk of Total, Cardiovascular, and Cancer Mortality.”  After reading these articles, I am not sure why the paleo community is so worried.  The study conducted by Dr. An Pan in Dr. Frank Hu’s laboratory at the Harvard University School of Public Health found that consuming 1 serving of red meat a day, especially if the meat was processed, increased risk of mortality over diets that obtained their protein from red meat along with more varied sources, like fish and poultry.  Dr. Hu and Dr. Marji McCullough, of the American Cancer Society, both seemed to agree that eating meat 2-3 times a week would be fine.

The study was impressive, investigating a staggering 37,698 men and 83,644 women over 22 years and doing statistical adjustments for multiple variables, such as lifestyle and dietary risk factors.  I noticed a few people dismissing the study outright, but I caution against that for 2 reasons; 1) This study was very carefully and very objectively conducted and it included a massive number of subjects and 2) it is easy to dismiss something outright that seems to threaten our strongly held beliefs that paleo is the right way to eat without considering what the study has to say.  The good news is that this study does not put a single dent into the paleo lifestyle, but rather supports it completely.

Standard diet: Corn-fed cows | Paleo diet: Grass-fed cows

Let’s now consider the paleo diet.  First and foremost, the paleo diet strongly advises against eating anything processed (hot dogs, bologna, deli meats) and encourages eating red meat from grass-fed animals that weren’t subjected to a corn-based diet, constant antibiotics and growth hormones, and didn’t live in a super crowded, manure laden filth pit that is the standard industrial facility.  This means that we paleo-ers don’t have to worry about the 20% increased risk of death associated with consumption of processed meats.

What about the 13% increased risk from the 1 serving of red meat a day?  I also don’t think this is a huge deal for paleo either for three main reasons.

Standard diet: Processed meat | Paleo diet: Grass-fed/Natural meat

The first is that we need to consider the rest of the diet the people in the study followed.  This study was massive and likely included individuals that ate anywhere from magnificently healthy veggie and lean meat filled diets to people who consumed primarily junk food and McDonalds and the like.  It would probably be safe to say that the majority of the individuals in this study ate somewhere in between the two extremes, and likely consumed a standard American diet, thus consuming many processed and sugary foods.  If you couple a moderately high sugar diet with daily consumption of red meat and a (likely) paltry amount of plants, it isn’t terribly surprising that you’d find a higher risk of disease.  Paleo is all about staying away from sugary processed foods, so I would say that it is highly likely that we aren’t like the average person in this study.

Standard diet: High sugar content drinks | Paleo diet: Water

The second reason is the paleo diet itself – nothing in paleo mentions the benefits of daily consumption of red meat.  Paleo embraces a variety of meats from animals that traverse the planet by land, sea and air.  Fish offer a magnificent amount of heart and brain healthy omega-3 fatty acids and are generally very lean.  Poultry offers a delicious lean option for meat, and red meat is delicious and offers a good dose of iron.  With so many critters to choose from, each with its own set of benefits, why would a paleo dieter limit him- or herself to primarily red meat?

The third reason is that paleo also embraces a whopping dose of vegetables and encourages the use of a variety of spices.  Meat can get stuck in the folds of our intestines (especially the colon), and vegetables, with their high fiber content, act as a brush of sorts – getting in all the crevices of your intestines and helping prevent diverticulitis.  Vegetables are high in all sorts of vitamins and minerals that keep poor-diet-exacerbated diseases at bay.  As for spices, a recent study found that adding a whole lot of spices to foods helps cut the levels of triglycerides by one third and drop insulin levels by about 20%, even in meals that are full of oily sauces and high in fat.

Combine all of these factors in the paleo diet – shunning of sugary processed foods and beverages, eating a variety of animals from land, sea and air, and complementing meals with large helpings of nutrient packed veggies and a variety of spices – and not only do we have nothing to worry about, but we should proudly embrace these studies.  Thank you Dr. Pan et al. for highlighting the dangers of processed foods and dietary tunnel vision when it comes to eating way too much of one food, in this case, red meat.

20 comments:

  1. I use to drink coke zero like once a day and usually stick to water and la croix sparkling water and it's a huge change for me also incorporating more grass fed meats is a little more expensive but you know that you are getting it right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great work lady! I've never been much of a soda drinker but I must admit I LOVE MT. DEW. I haven't had it in a long time though. Soda is SO BAD FOR YOU!

      Delete
  2. Today was good because i actually got to have a TWO A DAY workout routine while on the diet. I feel great and lighter. i switched up my breakfast by adding some green peppers to my eggs and then switched some of the veggies i have for lunch with a some new snacks. Its been a pretty interesting journey so far but i am liking the results and i just hope the fat keeps falling off and my workouts start doing great. I did find out today that green beans are a no go so i need to get that out of my diet for next week :( but no worries i was getting sick of them anyways lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely feel myself getting stronger...YAY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feeling a lot healthier after the first week. I also feel a lot more calm after the first week, it's probably because I haven't eaten any sugar in over a week. Can't wait to see how I feel at the end of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..I definately enjoy all the tasty food I've managed to look up and cook up, but its definately hard to focus and not get distracted by what everyone at work eats. Even more so when they just laugh at me and my so called "diet". And aside from feeling better I can't say I've seen any change on the outside. But its only been a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a bit to see a change when I first went paleo, but then it seemed to happen quickly after two weeks. I haven't seen any change this time so far however. Then again, I have been eating this way mostly for awhile now.

      Delete
  6. Interesting article. I was actually just thinking about this the other day as I was eating my dinner of red meat. As a person with cardiovascular disease in their family, my parents were always very concerned about the correlation between cd and red meat intake. But it wasn't until recently that we all decided to become more vigilant about the quality of our fruits, veggies and meat. I still have a hard time convincing my husband that paying more and buying back our health by purchasing organic food is worth it (especially because his family, for the most part, does not have any health issues in their history), but on most occasions he concedes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great article, I remember listening to a Pod-cast that was put up on the site a few months ago when this study was released. It really focused on how it really comes down to the quality of meat and that NO ONE should be eating red meat every day, the same can be said for pretty much everything. I mean who wants to eat fish for dinner every night? As for the diet I'm feeling clean and haven’t had any issues to really speak of from the diet side. I think I pulled a quad, so my WOD's have been hurting. I’m hoping this thing will take care of its self and I should be good to go here again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ate at Village Inn yesterday morning with my husbands family. Had my veggie omelet with nothing on it and two pieces of bacon with water. I was actually grossed out watching my stepson eat 3 large french toast, two large pancakes, and three small pancakes with at least a cup of syrup and three dollops of butter. OMG!! The way overweight daughter-in-law demolished a skillet covered in eggs, cheese ( I love my cheese though), potatoes and who knows what else. They each had to have at least 2500 calories each and the sugar overload for someone with ADHD is so detrimental. And they wonder why they are large and can't lose weight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any suggestions on this? I eat plenty of veggies, but I still crave for some carbs. If I eat egg or avocado I want to have some bread. It seems that i'm full, but I dont feel satisfied. I felt super tired this AM and did not make it to the gym :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faby - If your not satisfied, it means your not eating enough.

      If you are craving simple carbs like bread, it could just be a side-effect of adjusting to the new lifestyle. When I first started, I couldn't walk pass the bread isle without having an intense craving. It takes awhile - Hang in there.

      Are you in the new division? If so I would start say that you could try and get more fats/proteins in your system and see how you feel from there.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I'm in the newbie division. I thoguht this was going to be easier on me...thanks.

      Delete
  10. This has been my favorite post blog post to date and we have had some excellent ones! I would also like to add you guys should listen to Robb Wolf's podcast episode 124.
    I don't discount however that human diet studies are extremely hard to validate long term. But I must say that I do now have a bias, as this diet has worked for me. Emotions are more powerful than statistical data in influencing people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doing good this week, kinda getting tired of the same thing every day, i need to incorporate more concoction's into the meal plan, any suggestions on the best way to cook Egg Plant?
    Dang i tell u what it sure is hard to not step not the scale - good thing the batteries are dead.
    I need to quit using the mirror as my scale, although there is noticeable improvement, i find myself looking for it every time i pass one by.
    Great article, i was wondering were people were getting this information from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I roast eggplant- I also love it as part of ratatouille. It is easy,so yummy, and makes tons of veggies for several meals.

      Delete
  12. Speaking of eating other types of proteins... Does anyone know of a good place to buy fresh Seafood? I haven't been able to find a good fish market around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen,

      Go to the farmers market on Saturday. There is an old guy in a hut behind the main area that sells fresh fish and all other kinds of meat. Should help you out. The only other place that I know of that Fresh Fish is fresh market on Hilltop. It gets alittle pricy though.

      Delete
  13. Great posts guys! Sounds like we need to take a trip to the Farmer's market soon! Keep up the hard work and the great discussion. Kristen I will definitely listen to Robb's post here soon, thanx for that. Like Donnie said, at some point your cravings should go away as your taste buds are now more accustomed to fruit, veggies and proteins.

    ReplyDelete