Saturday, June 2, 2012

DAY 5: Catch up on your Sleep

Hi everyone!  
  I love reading and seeing what's going with everyone.  Please share any and all thoughts in regards to how you are feeling, or any mini successes you have had....ANYTHING.  This blog is your constant support to get you through these 30 days.  Here we can share ideas, recipes, ask questions...the works.  Please track your daily food blogs separate from here.  I just want to make sure your mentor(s) are the ones you are receiving feedback from.  If you have any questions, comments or testimonials share them here!

I do hope everyone is having an awesome weekend.  Don't forget tomorrow is the last day to do the baseline testing.  There is only 30 days in this challenge..so if I or any of the mentors, have not received your measurements, work out numbers or logs by COB Sunday....you are not in this challenge.  We don't have the time to let things get pushed back.  I will be at the gym tomorrow at 10 am to do baseline testing and pictures.  I will not show these pics with anyone.  You will receive your before and after pics after the challenge is over in July.

SLEEP:  So it's Saturday and I am sure everyone is out and about running errands, or just being social with friends and family.  Please take advantage of the weekend and rest!  Rest is crucial to our everyday life. 

Recognizing the importance of sleep is absolutely essential to maintain overall physical and emotional well-being. Many forget to include sleep in the health equation because  the effects of under-sleeping are not emphasized nearly enough. Once you realize what occurs in your body when you do not get enough sleep, surely you will choose to place it higher up on the priority list.
Let’s start with the hormone called Cortisol. Cortisol is a hormone that regulates your sleep patterns, your blood sugar levels, and several other functions within your body. During the morning, cortisol levels are supposed to be high to get your body up and moving for the day. At the end of the day, cortisol levels will decrease, and this will allow you to relax and sleep more soundly. That (below) is what your cortisol levels are supposed to look like 



So, what happens to cortisol levels when we start to neglect sleep? You become tired all the time, normal tasks become more stressful, and then things really start to unravel! Increased stress leads to increased cortisol levels, with increased cortisol levels we become “tired and wired.”
The normal graph becomes reversed. Cortisol levels become low in the morning (thus the reason you have to drag yourself out of bed), and high at night. At this point, our cortisol levels are so high, when we lie down to go to bed our mind is racing and we are restless. Not only are we unable to sleep, but our blood pressure levels slowly start to increase to hypertensive levels, our appetite increases, we are unable to lose fat, and all these factors added up puts us at risk for several diseases. As crazy as it may sound, high cortisol levels will make you retain fat. This defeats the whole purpose of paleo; to LOSE FAT and GAIN MUSCLE. SO GET SOME SLEEP PEOPLE!

Reverse the symptoms with:
· Regular Exercise and Weight Loss
· Stress Management
· Increasing Sleep
· Regular Doctor Check-ups

Alright guys so catch up on your Zzzzzz's this weekend. 


Coach Dee

10 comments:

  1. I have struggled with sleep for many years, sometimes no matter what I do I cannot get proper rest. Since excerising and changing my diet, and my job, my sleep has gotten much better. However I still have this problem from time to time now. I Am so glad that sleep is part of this challenge because so many forget about it importance. Also the way you wake up is important, as well as the environment you sleep in. This is a great time to think about these issues as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a great article! I'm so tired from this past week of working out that I'm actually going to be now! HA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Went to the Admirals hockey game and did not drink any beers or eat any junk even though every one I was with was giving me crap for not drinking and being on a diet. Keith-1 Peer Pressure-0.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job Keith! Keep it up!

      Delete
    2. Cassie's right, Keith! Great job! Social events out with friends like that can be some of the most trying times. Good on you for staying true to the challenge and your goals. believe me, your commitment will be very much worth it in the end.

      Delete
  4. got 8 hrs last night for the first time in about a week, still feel tired. The crazy work schedule of last week is rely showing its face today!! craving a energy shot, so i'm going to go and get cup of coffee (black).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got about 8-9 hours each night which is GREAT for me!! Feelin good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been averaging about 7 hours of sleep this past week. My problem is actually going to sleep. I feel sleepy right after work, but once I go workout at 6:30PM usually I don't feel as tired anymore. and may not even go to bed before 11PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drake, I have that same issue. I am changing my routine by working out in the am vice pm. Hopefully, that will help simply b/c my average amount of sleep per night is 5 hrs and that is amazing for me. I guess we will see what this week brings. As I am typing at 2307 at night.. ;)

      Delete