Thursday, May 31, 2012

DAY 3- SNACK IDEAS

I am learning that many people are having a difficult time finding things to eat that are paleo friendly for their snacks...as a result, people are just not eating and are ready to chew their arms off.  This challenge is not meant for you to starve yourself...If you are hungry, please eat...graze all day.  It takes a little planning and complete awareness that you should be fueling your body throughout the day with healthy protein, carbs and fats....

Here are some Easy Snack ideas below:

Tuna Fish packets (low sodium, olive oil)
Small pieces of fruit or handful of veggies
Almonds

Beef/Turkey or Buffalo Jerky (Trader Joes)
Fruit/Veggie  (I like to buy a relish tray and just graze on that at work)

Steve's Paleo Kits (order online...the jerky packets are pretty good and great to have for when on travel)

TUNA STUFFED EGGS
6 Hard boiled eggs
2 Tablespoons of homemade mayo (see below)
1 green onion, diced
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons dijion or yellow mustard (make your own-)
1 5 oz can of tuna
Chopped Pickles (optional)



Peel the eggs and slice them in half length wise from. Take the yolks out of each half and put them in a small bowl. Add mayo, lemon juice, salt, pepper, chopped green onion, and mustard (homemade) to the yolks. Mix all the ingredients in the bowl well. Stir in a can of tuna. Spoon this mixture into the hollowed out egg halves and enjoy.



HOME MADE MAYO
2 eggs
2 cups light tasting olive oil or walnut oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a blender, add the eggs, vinegar, and mustard and blend together well – leave the blender running and slowly slowly slowly drop by drop or very slow drizzle add the oil.  BE PATIENT!!  Do not dump all the oil in quickly and give up!!  When the mixture begins to emulsify or thicken, only then can you be a bit faster about pouring in the olive oil but still take your time.  Turn the blender off once all the olive oil is in and the mayonnaise is thickened to your desired consistency.  Add the salt and cayenne pepper and mix well or blend again for another few seconds.
Now for the fun part – variations!!!  Always wait until after your mayonnaise is thick before you add seasoning but here is when you can get creative.  Add dried of fresh dill, fresh basil, or cilantro, garlic and onion, hot sauce, or even curry powder to make your own spreads, sauces and dips for just about everything as mentioned earlier in the post. Now, watch my video to see the fun twist that I put on our homemade mayonnaise!

OTHER EASY SNACK IDEAS:


These are a few simple, snack ideas to start.  Lunch meat ( be careful what kind you get) wrapped with veggies, avocado...whatever you want healthy carb you want.  Pack some veggies, cucumber sandwiches, celery, almond butter and some dried fruit (don't go crazy on the dried fruit!).

Chicken Salad Avocado Boat  (get creative on Sundays for the week)
4 skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds total)
4 bay leaves
1 quart organic low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth (or half of each, which I did here)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup unsalted, roasted almonds, finely chopped
1/2 large red onion, diced
1/2 a bunch asparagus, roasted and diced into small pieces**
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
2 roasted bell peppers (red or yellow peppers), skin removed and diced
pepper to taste
Avocados (slice in half)

Instruction:
*To Roast Bell Peppers:
Preheat oven to 45o degrees.  Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with coconut oil, set aside.  Cut the peppers in half and clean out the seeds and innards. Place them on a baking sheet skin side up.  Bake peppers for 15 to 20 minutes. Once the skins are brownish-black, remove from the oven and immediately place the peppers in a large ziploc bag. Close and let sit for 20 minutes or so (or until the peppers have time to cool and “sweat”). Once they have cooled you will be able to peel the skins right off. What you will have left is a moist, wonderfully cooked pepper. Yummy!
**To roast asparagus, toss asaragus in a little olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper.  Roast in the 450 degree oven for 5-10 minutes, depending on size of asparagus, while bell peppers roast.  Remove and allow to cool before cutting into small pieces.

To make the chicken salad:
Put the bay leaves and the chicken broth in a large pot with a lid and bring stock to a simmer.  Add the chicken breasts to the pot.  Return the broth to a simmer.  Cover the pot.  Turn off the heat.  Let the chicken steep in the stock for 30 minutes to an hour.
While the chicken is cooking, chop the other ingredients – garlic, almonds, onion, asparagus, basil, parsley, roasted bell peppers – and add to a large bowl. 
When the chicken breasts are cooked, remove them from the broth and let them cool.  When they are cool enough to handle, shred the chicken breasts into bite-size pieces by hand.  Mix the chicken pieces in with the rest of the ingredients.

You can add some "homemade" dressings to it to spice it up...but nothing prepackaged. 

These are just a few ideas.  I highly recommend the Everyday Paleo Cookbook- by Sarah Fragosa.
The recipes are very simple and delicious!

22 comments:

  1. This are great suggestions! thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tuna Stuffed Eggs sound yummy. I found this site with lots of good stuff in it. http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-diet-recipes/

    The cookbook they show at the very bottom, my mom got that online this weekend and is already having fun with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does coconut water count as part of the daily water intake?
    Day 3 Feeling a lot better than Day 2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trader Joe's Jerky has soy sauce, not to mention sugar but that wasn't what I was worried about so much. Why is TJ's Jerky recommended? Am I missing something?

    I do know they sell all natural Jerky at Harris Teeter and Costco which is made without soy and has no wheat as well. It does have sugar however. Personally, I usually I buy the Steve's original Just Jerky (grass fed) but it is a bit pricey, it has fruit juice, but no other added sugar. They sell it at Crossfit Rife and 757.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only had the Turkey Jerky from Trader Joes. Are you getting the Teriyaki kind?

      I always think of Jerky as a "last resort" snack when I can't find any other quality protein. From my experience with the paleo/clean eating lifestyle, it has the temptation of leading to other non approved foods. I think the same of dried fruit.

      Just my two cents.
      Don

      Delete
    2. No, I only got the regular kind, but I read the ingredients of the other stuff too. I don't think of Jerky as a last resort- more like a life savor, for I usually eat it when I didn't make better plans ahead of time.
      Dried fruit is a big downfall for me- I love it and eat way too much of it. I have no portion control with it. Plus it is a "gateway" in some ways.
      Perhaps why I don't eat more Jerky is it comes in 2.5 oz packs (the one I buy) so it helps me from overeating.

      Delete
    3. Kristen, because its easy and convienent and you can grab it along with other healthier food choices. We know it isnt ideal but just a quick and easy alternative when you are in a jam :)

      Andy

      Delete
    4. This is perfect. I often carry around baby food, it sounds weird but it's so easy. The carry pouch ones.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do have to say that Day 3 is starting to feel a little bit better when it comes to my energy and hunger levels. It could possibly be that i actually worked out today now that i recovered a little from Murph. But i also bought the jerky from Harris Teeter that was "all natural" and had two or three pieces of that with my carrots and snow peas.

    8am- 3 1/2 Eggs w/chopped onions, tomatoes, and whole leaf spinach mixed in
    9am - hand full of nuts
    10am - carrots and snow peas for snack with some jerky
    11am - 1 chicken breast with spinach, green peppers, onions, green beans
    3:30 - Post WOD Isolate Protein shake, this shake is better than gold standard btw because is has one gram less carb.
    5pm - 2 slices of salmon, 4 strips of Natural bacon, and a 1 1/2 cup of shrimp
    6pm - 1 cup of black coffee

    probably have a another veggie snack later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breakfast:
    - 3 eggs cooked in half tbsp coconut oil (18g)
    - 1 chicken sausage (trader joes) (21g)
    - 1 slice bacon (trader joes) (3g)
    - 1 cup spinach
    - 1 orange


    breakfast #2
    - 4 hardboiled eggs (24g)

    lunch #1
    - 2 chicken sausages (42gs)
    - 1 cup spinach
    - Brussel sprouts cooked with Olive Oil, Black pepper and Bacon
    - 1 avocado

    lunch #2
    - 5oz Chicken (30gs)
    - 1 hardboiled egg (6gs)
    - 1 cup spinach
    - Brussel sprouts cooked with Olive Oil, Black pepper and Bacon
    - 1 avocado

    Post Workout meal (active stretching)
    - 1 scoop recovery whey + water (20g)

    Dinner
    - 5 eggs (30gs protein) with
    - 1cup of berries

    Total protein is 194gs for today.

    I had to scamble leftovers to make it today. I have food cooking now, but I had to resort for a breakfast type meal for dinner because i fell asleep between 6PM - 8PM. Should be back on track tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today was suppose to be another meal prep type day, but it didn't quite work out the way because I fell asleep. :)

      Delete
    2. Donnie,

      It looks like you really have your diet dialed in. I honestly can't really find anything wrong with it, and you are getting an appropriate amount of protein for your goals based on the division you are in. If you're putting in just as much effort into your WODs, which I'm sure you are, you're primed to finish with some outstanding results. Keep up the great work!

      Delete
  8. Turkey Sausge (TJs) with tri colored peppers, onions, and asparagus with 1/4 tsp coconut oil. Very delicious and fulfilling for dinner. First day going out to eat for lunch at Borjo and was able to substitute everything I make my lunch paleo - grilled chicken with salad and homemade natural carrot and cucumber juice. Very yummy. I noticed my hunger pains are gone, my digestive system is on track (thanks Kristen R.) and feeling really good without cravings yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wod 1630 class 155 5 rep max deadlift. 125 on prowler push thing.
    Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, 2oz cashews
    Meal 2: 5oz grilled chicken, 1 cup of spinach
    Meal 3: 1/2 avacado, 2 servings carrot, 2oz almonds
    Meal 4: 6oz grilled chicken 1 cup spinach
    Meal 5: 6 oz grilled chicken, 1 hard boiled egg, and 1 serving baby carrots

    ..I think I did a little better today, and I'm definately noticing I can eat more...and I'm constantly hungry at least for today :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, great job on your deadlift 5RM, that's really good. And you're meal planning looks a lot better today...you've definitely bumped up your protein intake and have actual meals going on now.

      Delete
  10. Trying to cut back on fruit. I only ate one piece today for breakfast at 8 AM. I got really tired around 3:00 at work but ate some raw broccoli and carrots and felt better. I am going to try to eat no fruit over the weekend and see how it affects me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. finding mid morning snacks and mid afternoon snacks is a tough espically while youre at work. Im thinking that the tuna packets might not be a bad idea. how has that been working out for everyone else? Did a morning WOD at work. 4 mile @7 min pace then 20 min AMRAP 10 PU 15 SU and 20 SQ's got 12 rounds. good morning, looking forward to the WOD this afternoon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, for my snacks while I'm at work, one is usually made up of eggs balanced with a vegetable and a fat, and the other is usually a small 2.6 oz pack of tuna in olive oil (I may bump this up to a normal size pack) and a vegetable. Both are easy for me to carry to work and eat at my designated times.

      Delete
  12. Fruits are the only thing is keeping my sweets craving control. So, I am trying to cut back in fruits this next couple days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the snack ideas! I was one of those people the first couple of days that was thinking, "Can I eat anything besides beef jerky?"

    I am also trying to limit my fruit intake, however, I'm finding it more difficult when I run and crossfit the same day. Pre-nutrition challenge, before I would run I'd grab an apple or banana and eat protein after; no food before WOD, but eat dinner (fish/chicken) after. Is that still ok or are you looking for me to eat something else before a run? I've tried almonds in place of the fruit, but I've felt sluggish when I run after eating them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren,
      In regards to our discussion today, during these 30 days limiting your fruits will give you the best results. However doing two workouts, you could have your 2 serving limit per day of fruit as part of your pre-wod snacks. Again experiment days with and without and see how you feel. Also experiment with other paleo balanced snacks besides nuts before a run and see how you feel.

      Delete