Thursday, June 7, 2012

DAY 10: Animal Protein (Part #1)


Animal protein is the main type
of protein recommended on the Paleo diet.

What do beef, bison, pork, wild boar, offal, game meat, fish, seafood, poultry and eggs have in common? They all contain the delicious AND superior animal protein your body needs.
It is when our ancestors started including more animal foods in their diet that our brain started to develop in size and complexity. (1) We wouldn’t be who we are if we hadn’t started including more meat in our diet. By eating less plant foods, our gut decreased in size, allowing in return more energy for the development of our brain.
This evolution would probably not have been possible on a vegetarian diet, let alone a vegan diet.
Proteins from animal food are high-quality complete proteins and contain all the essential amino acids your body requires.
Vegetable proteins, from legumes, soy and grains, are incomplete and lack some essential amino acids.
Amino acids from protein are the building blocks necessary to build muscles, synthesize the DNA and cells of every cell in your body, nourish the cell lining of your intestines and are involved in making enzymes, hormones, proteins fighting for your immune system and proteins that transport vitamins, minerals, cholesterol, fat and other important nutrients inside your body. (1)
If some amino acids are not present in the right proportions, these functions cannot be accomplished.

Best Animal Protein Choices on the Paleo diet
Grass-fed, grass-finished, pastured, free-range… the terminology can be complicated and the different labeling regulations can make it difficult, but your best bet is to find a local farmer and/or ask your butcher where you can source high-quality meat and eggs.

7 reasons to choose pastured, grass-fed and free-range meat.  (Tomorrow's Blog)

Stay away from CAFO (concentrated animal feeding operations) where animals are confined in cages under unethical conditions and force-fed atrocious quantities of grains, soy and “by-product feedtuff” to make them grow and fatten up as quickly as possible so they can be butchered and sold. High productivity + low cost = more profit. Unfortunately, profit is the only driving force behind CAFOs and no considerations are given to the animals and the environment. This is why many people go vegetarian. But fortunately, CAFOs are not the only option!
You can select meat from animals that were treated humanely and ate what they were supposed to eat. Go to the farmer market or find a farm in your area. The closer you are to where your food come from, the healthier it will be. Not only for you but for the planet as well!
Remember that every time you encourage a local farmer and/or buy grass-fed, pastured meat and eggs, you are voting with your money!
Hopefully, the more demand there is for high-quality and sustainable foods, as advocated by the Paleo diet, the more widely available and affordable they will become.
Best Animal Proteins on the Paleo diet

Category
Examples
Best option*
Animals that eat grass – Herbivores and Ruminantsbeef, bison or buffalo, Highland cattle, deer or venison, moose, elk or wapiti, lamb, sheep, goat, kangaroos…Pastured, 100% grass-fed or grass-finished (ideally from a local farm; they should never be fed grains, not even during the last few months of their life)
Animals that swim FishSardines, salmon, herring, mackerel, anchovies, sole, flounder, catfish…Wild-caught and eco-sustainable (not farmed!.. farmed fish and seafood are given soy, corn, hormones and antibiotics; check with the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch* for an up-to-date sustainable seafood guide**)
Seafoodshrimp, scallops, oysters, crab, lobster…
OtherCrocodile, alligator, frog, snake…
Animals that eat anything -OmnivoresWithout wingsPork, wild boar, bearPastured (ideally from a local farm)
With wings - PoultryChicken, turkey, wild turkey, duck, quail, emu, ostrich…Pastured, free-range poultry (chicken, turkey and other animals in these category are not vegetarians! They live healthier and are healthier for you if they have access to worms and bugs too.)
EggsChicken eggs, duck eggs, quail eggs, goose eggs, emu eggs, ostrich eggs…Eggs from pastured, free-range hens (again, these animals are not vegetarians and should be able to complete their diet by foraging for live worms and bugs)
*Organic may be better than conventional alternatives, but your meat is still likely to come from grain-fed animals; **Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch; National Sustainable Seafood Guide. Monterey Bay Aquarium. January 2012. (accessed January 2012

10 comments:

  1. Good Article! I've been eating a lot more protein than I used to, but still feeling tired at times. Hopefully, my body will catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good article. I listen to NPR's Fresh Air with Terry Gross and I HIGHLY recommend that you all listen to the podcast. It will help you have no problem paying more for quality meat and chicken. I have been making more of an effort to by hormone and grassfed meat, along with wild caught seafood, however this podcast makes me want to try harder! If you cannot listen to it- atleast read the interview highlights:

    http://www.npr.org/2012/06/07/154504565/assessing-consumer-concerns-about-the-meat-industry

    ReplyDelete
  3. This stuff really helps out a lot. Can't believe we're already on day 10 I don't really notice any changes but I feel better in general about these new eating habits I hope and plan to keep most of them once the challenge is over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is from the previous day.

    Can you explain the spices category? Black pepper seems kind of slow on the scale. I use it quite a bit.

    Don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don,

      The only reason I can think of as to why Black Pepper may be as low as it is on the scale is because it is actually a fruit. The berry of the plant is picked and dried in the sun, during which the skin shrinks around the inner seed. 6g of Black Pepper is estimated to equal about 16 calories. That's a fairly insignificant amount considering how much you would have to ingest. Additionally, it has an extremely low glycemic index and is over 80% carb (4g out of the 6g). I wouldn't even worry about it.

      http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/spices-and-herbs/200/2

      Delete
  5. Went out to eat this evening and had a amazing dinner at Nick's restaurant in San Clemente, Ca
    Pan seared Halibut with roasted Brussels sprouts and carrots, it came with a pomegranate glaze but I withheld it due to sugar content. It's funny when u go to a restaurant and they look at your funny that you don't want non paleo food. I laughed and said this is my new lifestyle. Thanks Kristen R for podcast info when I get back you gotta show me that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really good episode- you have to listen to it. I cannot wait for you to get home! I got you a special paleo present! Cheryl I am so proud of you! Remember when I was smacking bread out of your hand, now you are kicking my ass in this challenge!

      Delete
    2. Haha! I've been trying to avoid restaurants that give bread out (Italian, etc). Tonight I went to hibatchi and had NY strip steak with veggies no soy added and here this I asked if they had coconut or olive oil instead of vegetable oil and they had coconut in the back and converted to oil for me. And the couple across the table said "are u eating like a caveman no rice or noodles" and I glady gave my insight why, now they are intrigued! She has diabetes and suffers from high bp and fibromyalgia and told her how this diet can possibly reverse it. She asked me for all info to send her! I love it and thank u BFF for helping and motivating me! What's the paleo present? Lol

      Delete
  6. I went out to eat last night and it was a disaster. I will own up to it, but I def learned from this experience. I asked for this chicken dish, which had red sauce on it (prob a cheat) with pasta and sauteed onions. I asked to sub out the pasta for broc and spinach. My dish came and it was DRENCHED in sauce (should have asked for it on the side), with a ton of onions (that I thought was pasta acutally) and 4 small pieces of broc on the side. My spinach came late and then I saw a hair in my broc! Ugh....not the best experience. Stick with fish and veggies...always a safe bet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which restaurant was that? So I can avoid lol!

      Delete