Monday, June 18, 2012

Day 21- Recipe

Kale Meatballs

1 lb sausage of your choice (I used chicken Italian sausage that I buy from our local butcher who uses pasture raised chicken)
1 lb ground beef
1 bunch kale, tough stems removed and chopped finely in a food processor
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375, mix all ingredients together by hand and form into meatballs a little larger than golf balls.  Fry the meatballs in a large skillet in coconut oil until all sides are browned.  Move into a glass baking dish, cover tightly with tin foil and finish in the oven for 20 minutes.

Serve with Spagetti Squash!

Watermelon and Arugula Salad
Quantity: 8
Time: 5-10 minutes of prep
Paleo Grade: C (Would be an A without the cheese!)
  • 3/4 pound arugula
  • 2 pounds seedless red (and yellow if you can find it!) watermelon, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
  • 2/3 cup high quality olive oil
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • Juice from 1 large grapefruit
  • 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of shaved Parmesan cheese (a vegetable peeler works great for this!)
  1. Place the arugula and watermelon in your large salad serving bowl.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, grapefruit juice, salt, and pepper.
  3. Toss enough dressing with the arugula and watermelon to lightly coat and transfer remaining dressing to a serving dish.

10 comments:

  1. I love the Kale balls idea!! I was going to make bison meatballs and spaghetti tonight, so I might use the kale to get move veggies in there! I always add grated carrots too.

    So my pants are fitting more loose but I don't think my midsection is any smaller. I am looking forward to getting taped again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're making spaghetti squash on sunday never had it before but I may try to make the kale meatballs too sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These recipes look really yummy! I plan to use them in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made the Kale Balls! I only used bison and added some carrots, but the kalebisonballs were great! I put it over spag squash with Wolfgang Puck's no sugar added all natural sauce. I bought two jars, but one would have been enough! I really enjoyed the kale in them! Thanks Dee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got to try those kale meatballs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear they were delicious...When i got home from the gym last night, I had planned to try and take my chx spicy sausage and the rest of my ingredients and make them. Unfortunately, the husband got a hold of the sausages and grilled them up. So next time!

    I am in love with roasted cauliflower. I had roasted veggies too recently...and THAT was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a flowchart in the link below that I thought was pretty good for the challenge.

    http://paleohacks.com/questions/89589/paleo-diet-flowchart-funny-or-paleo-101-or-both#axzz1yFuWaL4c

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to try those Kale meatballs. Roasted broccoli delicious also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristen R made delicious bison kale meatballs! Thanks for recipe Dee!

    ReplyDelete