Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Food is crack! Break the addiction-

Many of us have a huge dependance on food.  It rules our world.  It's in our head, teasing us and convincing us that the warm chocolate chip cookie would be ok to eat, just one right?  And then you find yourself justifying the need for a second and third one.  Well I worked out today, right?  This isn't really that big of deal, right?  Unfortunately, this trend happens frequently...even with the best of athletes.  We can't help ourselves, the food is delicious and so freakin satisfying! (for a minute at least and then you're "hungry" for more)  These foods, especially ones that are sugary, trigger certain receptors in the brain, just like crack would.  For instance, the more junk food you are consuming the more dopamine is being released causing that addictive behavior mentioned above.  Also, all crappy foods elicit a response from the "munchy receptors"  called "cannabinoids."  So this is almost like smoking weed.  You have had a night of drinking beer and eventually you find yourself at 711 crushing some Taquitos.  Am I right?  Lastly, junk food of all kinds (pizza, candy, alcohol...anything!) release a chemical called "opioid."  This chemical is responsible for taste....your taste buds are in heaven and they just want to taste more and more of whatever you just had.  That's why it's tricky when you play around with "paleo brownies and paleo cookies."  You are teasing your taste buds and this means you are still keeping that door open to addiction.

There are some interesting studies out there, about how physicians weened drug addicts off of their drug of choice, by using sugar.  So food for thought.

I just want you all to be aware of how food can be addicting and it's everywhere, all around us!  So through this challenge, we are going to face society and say "NO" to shitty food.

Read this article below- this guy is pretty pissed, I would say.

http://glennpendlay.wordpress.com/2012/05/20/im-pissed/

I love me some Robb Wolf- read this

http://robbwolf.com/2012/02/15/carb-addiction-cake-is-the-new-crack/

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Kevin's article on Robb Wolf's website. I went strict paleo for the 30 days when I first started the diet and those first two weeks were really killer for me. Now I don't get the cravings I used to, however I now eat 80/20. With this challenge I am going back to strict and I wonder what the first two weeks will be like this time. I think there is also something to be said for breaking the habit loop. I wish the article had explored this part of the puzzle as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both articles are good. I know some scream that if you are going to have a brownie, have a real brownie. But I have noticed that I have a limit to how much grains I can eat (pretty low) before I feel like crap. Also, from another nutrition challenge, I had eaten very clean for a couple of months before I finally tried some pseudo/grainless brownies.

    I make them on occasion, usually for family get togethers (figure a little less grain in their diet wouldn't hurt), and find I can eat one brownie and be done. I don't eat the whole pan and immediately make another.

    Is it possible that after some time, you can break that connection and enjoy a pseudo paleo treat and not get sucked back into bad eating? Depending on how your body reacts to processed junk, isn't it a little better to make a paleo treat and control what is in it than to just buy a box of mix and make the stuff with grains and all kinds of chemicals?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course! I would say comfortably that all of the Coaches are disciplined enough to follow an 80/20 rule with their nutrition. 80% of the time we eat strict and 20% we eat what we like whether that be paleo-ish food or just a full on splurge. But, it takes time I think to get to that point to be in control of your food. For this challenge, I would encourage everyone to try to steer clear of any "pseudo paleo treats" and go through the detox phase. After wards, we can discuss some great treat ideas on a case by case basis. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I plan on giving this challenge a full go! Just to help clean up the few cheats I've allowed back in. Hope this kicks everything into gear for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete